Tips for Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Home

Carbon Monoxide in Burbank, CA

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is produced whenever any fuel, such as natural gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal, is burned. In combustion engines, such as cars and trucks, carbon monoxide is produced when the fuel is not burned completely. Carbon monoxide is also produced by objects that burn slowly, such as cigarettes.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and can be very dangerous. In fact, carbon monoxide poisoning kills hundreds of people in the United States every year and sends approximately 50,000 more to the hospital. Most carbon monoxide poisoning occurs in the winter because people are more likely to use fuel-burning appliances and leave their cars running in enclosed spaces such as garages. However, carbon monoxide poisoning can occur anytime and in any home. That’s why it’s important to be aware of carbon monoxide’s dangers and take steps to prevent it in your home.

Installing Carbon Monoxide Detectors

One of the easiest ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is by installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home. These detectors sense the presence of CO and alert occupants using an alarm. There are two basic types of CO detectors: electrochemical and metal oxide. Electrochemical detectors use a chemical reaction to detect carbon monoxide while metal oxide semiconductor detectors use a highly sensitive electronic sensor to detect the gas. Both types of detectors are effective at detecting carbon monoxide, but electrochemical detectors are more accurate.

You’ll also find hard-wired, plug-in, and battery-operated CO detectors. Those that are hard-wired into your home’s electrical system can be linked to each other so that if you sense carbon monoxide, it will trigger an alarm in the rest of the units. The disadvantage to hard-wired detectors, however, is that they won’t work in a power outage. That’s why they should always be used with backup battery-operated units, which are easy to install and do not rely on electricity to work. Plug-in units are not typically recommended because most outlets are near the floor and gas rises, so these units may miss a leak.

Regardless of what type of detectors you use, their placement is important. You want to install them on the ceiling or high on the wall. Avoid placing them within 15 feet of cooking and heating appliances or near ceiling fans, vents, or air conditioner units. There should be a detector on each level of your home and, if possible, within 10 feet of each bedroom door so that occupants will hear the alarm if it goes off while they’re sleeping. All detectors need to be regularly tested to make sure that they are working properly. The batteries in the detectors should also be replaced after every six months.

It’s important to note that while they are effective, having carbon monoxide detectors installed should not lull you into a false sense of security. They should only be considered a backup for the proper use of fuel-burning appliances. These detectors can miss low levels of carbon monoxide, so it’s important to take other steps to protect your family.

Avoid Using Gas-Powered Tools and Equipment in or Near the Home

If you have any tools or equipment that run on gasoline, you should never use them inside your home or garage. Portable generators should be placed at least 20 feet from the home and away from any windows or doors. Portable camp stoves also present a high risk of CO poisoning if used in an enclosed area. Never cook on a camp stove inside your kitchen or garage; charcoal grills can also cause CO poisoning, so precautions should be taken when using one near the home.

Most people are also aware of the dangers of running your car in an enclosed garage. However, many people do not know that cars shouldn’t even be left running in an attached garage with an open door because fumes can seep into the home. Regular inspection and maintenance of your car’s exhaust system are also recommended to avoid CO-related issues.

Proper Ventilation

Proper ventilation is also key to preventing carbon monoxide buildup and is critical to protecting your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. Open doors and windows when using appliances that produce combustion gases. This includes stoves, ovens, dryers, and grills. Keep flues and chimneys clear of obstructions so that combustion gases can escape. Ventilation can be improved by installing exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom. Cracks and gaps in walls, ceilings, and floors can allow carbon monoxide to enter your home. In addition, fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces should be properly vented to the outside to prevent carbon monoxide from building up inside your home.

It is important to regularly inspect your HVAC ventilation system to ensure that it is operating correctly. This will help to prevent health problems and improve the quality of your indoor air. A regular inspection will also help you to identify any potential problems so that they can be repaired before they cause any issues. Contact [company name] today to schedule an inspection and avoid the consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Have All Gas Appliances Regularly Inspected and Maintained

Furnaces, water heaters, and any other gas- or oil-burning appliances need to be inspected every year to ensure they are free of issues that could lead to a CO leak. Regular maintenance will keep your appliances operating safely and efficiently, which will give you peace of mind and could keep your energy bills in check. If you have a fireplace, the chimney also needs regular inspections to ensure proper ventilation.

At Air Max HVAC, we provide thorough furnace maintenance services for homeowners throughout Burbank and the surrounding area. If we find an issue that needs to be addressed, our team will provide a lasting repair. You can also count on us for indoor air quality audits and solutions that can help detect and remove excess CO and other contaminants from your home’s air.

Know the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In addition to taking the necessary precautions to avoid CO leaks and buildup, it’s also important to know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so that you can identify when there’s been an issue. Symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, disorientation, and loss of consciousness. These symptoms can often happen gradually, making them difficult to identify. If you think you may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s important to open all windows and doors and get out of the environment where you are exposed to the gas and into fresh air as soon as possible. You should then seek medical attention immediately.

Reach Out for Professional Help Today

If you’re interested in learning more about how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, the team at Air Max HVAC is available to help. We’re the local experts for all things related to indoor air quality and heating and cooling. We install air purification and ventilation systems and provide HVAC repairs, installation, and maintenance services. Our team is dedicated to helping Burbank residents breathe easy and stay comfortable and safe in their homes year-round. Contact us today for more information or to set up an appointment.